Thomas-the Watcher

Thomas Acrylic on Masonite 12'X12'


This was a more complicated or should I say involved painting than the previous ones I have been working on.  I have two definite styles that are developing in my work.  One is the more detailed, defined painting like this one.  The other is a more playful, cartoonish look what emphasizes the black outlines akin to print blocks.  I chose to do a more serious painting of Thomas here.  He was a cat that lived in St. Paul, MN with my sister.  He was quite old and died recently of a medical problem.  But, I knew this kitty personally and he had a great life with great people.  He had the freedom to roam the neighborhood for many years and was a friend to many.  His fur was long and luxurious and reminded you of a lion.  But, this was a gentle animal and enjoyed being on your lap or not.  Here he was painted sitting in the backyard garden in early spring enjoying the sun and watching.....as cats tend to like to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pen and Ink with a Little Watercolor

Nothing like the directness of a sketch done of the outdoors with the use of pen and ink.  It is challenging to get the variety of texture...

Popular Posts