And the Band Plays On

Arches near Picacho State Park in CA  8"x10" Acrylic on hardboard
Our small town has a annual celebration as all small towns do which includes a parade.  If you are not watching the parade you would be in the parade.  In my case I am in the parade playing the clarinet in a little band that performs marches, polkas and popular music called "Sig's Band".  Live music is on the decline in most parades.  It is difficult to find organized groups to perform let alone pay them for their service.  We work for a minimal fee and lunch.  Our band performs at several of these little town parades throughout the summer.  It is a great gig because everyone is in a good mood.

The painting I did yesterday is of an area that I took a hike to with my cousin in southern California last January, just north of Yuma. I have been interested in doing a landscape and I was wondering how I would solve the problem of the rocks and sandy ground.  The painting is basically monochromatic and I am somewhat satisfied with how it turned out.  It was definitely a moonlike landscape compared with the lushness of greenery and black dirt in Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pen and Ink with a Little Watercolor

Nothing like the directness of a sketch done of the outdoors with the use of pen and ink.  It is challenging to get the variety of texture...

Popular Posts