Discovery...An Ongoing Adventure

Jazz Fest Lily 6"x6" acrylic on hardboard
For two weeks I have been writing and adding paintings to this blog.  During that time I have been thinking about the direction the blog might take and its purpose.  On the first entry I said my main purpose was "reflection, inspiration, and accountability toward my work in progress".   
I like having a record of my work as I complete the daily paintings.  Some, like todays Jazz Fest Lily did take just one day.  Some works have taken two or more depending on the problems I have had to solve to complete the work.  
So, what have I discovered in the last two weeks?
 • The technical aspects of painting, (loading the brush, combining a limited palette of colors, working with black gesso,) 
•Composition (viewing composition problems before I am too far into the painting to correct them easily)
•Setting up a blog, photographing artwork web ready and original, filing artwork, keeping a system for future reference on a spreadsheet.
•Organizing and prioritizing my life and schedule so that I have time to paint on a daily basis.  I am creating a habit of painting.  
•And finally I am continually viewing my world around me for inspiration.  As I sit here and type I look out directly below my window and I can see a small brown bunny nibbling at something near a hosta plant.  The sun is almost down. No shadows exist.  Not a breeze stirs the air.  If only I had a camera and I was closer I would take a photo ........ 

The painting I included today was done in one sitting.  It is a photograph I took of a daylily that was blooming over the 4th of July at the Iowa City Jazz Festival (therefore the name Jazz Fest Lily).  I like the movement of the leaves as if it is dancing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pen and Ink with a Little Watercolor

Nothing like the directness of a sketch done of the outdoors with the use of pen and ink.  It is challenging to get the variety of texture...

Popular Posts